Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Remembering a Veteran:
Sgt. Albert Haas, 309th Infantry, 78th Division, AEF

Albert Haas at Camp Dix and Somewhere in France
Albert Haas of Buffalo, New York, served a year in France, came home, never spoke of the war again, and wrote a wonderful, but unpublished, memoir of his service, ONE YEAR'S TOUR OF FRANCE ON FOOT With CORN-WILLIE, GOLD-FISH AND HARD-TACK. After he died, his daughter Margaret discovered the manuscript. Click here to read an excerpt: "Three Memorable Days: Leaving for 'Over There', My First Time in No-Mans-Land, and I Get Shot."

Thanks to: My Late and Dear Pal Maggie Haas

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for supplying this interesting vignette. Having his manuscript adds to the wealth of our national historic treasury.
    Bart

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grampa was Philip Boyd Dennett, and he was shipped to France on the Kia Ora with Albert.
    Grampa was Co. H, 309th Infantry, 78th Infantry Division.
    I am trying to figure out what happened to them. He led a strange life when he returned, and died of the most extreme sort of alcoholism imaginable.
    If any one has links to 309th Infantry (Regiment?) of the 78th Infantry Division, please email me.
    He sailed to France on ship Kia Ora from Brooklyn on 20 May 2018 and returned from Brest, France on ship Noordam on 12 March 1919 to HOB (New Jersey?) 23 March 1919.
    My email is beetlebayley@gmail.com and I am a retired Army Officer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would pay to receive a Xerox copy of Albert's entire memoir.

    ReplyDelete