George Patton personally led the first American tank assault in history in the opening of the St. Mihiel Offensive in September 1918. Then, 26 years later, he led his Third Army through the same region. The French citizens off the region have never forgotten the General's double efforts to liberate them and are honoring both his efforts this year on the 100th anniversary of his first appearance locally. Here's some of the information the organizers have provided us.
Click on Image to Enlarge
Patton Memory DAYS
In Saint Mihiel, France COME JOIN US!
Some interesting facts about the St. Mihiel Town and Salient:
- The battle of 12–16 September 1918 was the first American-led battle of WWI
- John Pershing, George Patton, Douglas MacArthur, George Marshall, Billy Mitchell, and Alvin York all participated
- Rin Tin Tin (yes, that one) was born here during the battle.
- Rags (1st Div) and Sgt Stubby (26th Div) both fought within 2 miles of each other
- St.Mihiel has the second largest library of ancient books-after Paris!
- Sculptor Ligier-Richier lived here-many of his works are on display
- American Belle Skinner of Holyoke, MA restored Hattonchatel Castle
- American Battlefields of Seicheprey, Apremont la Foret, Beaumont, Flirey, Montsec, Bois-Brule’, Mort Mare, Bois-le-Pretre, Marbotte and Thiaucourt are all here
- In early September 1944, St. Mihiel was liberated a second time by VII Corps of General Patton's Third Army
- The second largest worldwide balloon launch and largest car show in Europe happen here at the Lac du Madine