Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Remembering a Veteran: One of the 19,240 British Soldiers Killed on the First Day of the Somme


Pvt. John J. Scollen (1874–1916)


Private John Scollen from Seaham, County Durham, was a member of the 27th Tyneside Irish Service Battalion. The 27th Battalion (4th Tyneside Irish), Northumberland Fusiliers was a Pals Battalion raised at Newcastle.  After initial training, they joined the 103 Brigade, 34th Division. The division attacked on the opening day of the Battle of the Somme and successfully helped capture Sausage Redoubt. Scollen's unit attacked in the third wave just south of the La Boisselle mine crater.


Cape Badge of the Tyneside Irish


The casualties on 1 July 1916 for the 27th Tyneside Irish totalled 539 including 159 killed. John Scollen, age 42, father of seven, was one of those killed. His body was never identified. He is commemorated at the Thiepval Memorial and St. Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church in Seaham. 


Commemorative Certificate from the
Local Association


Just before the battle he sent this letter home:

My Dear Wife and Children

It is with regret I write these last words of farewell to you. We are about to make a charge against these awful Germans. If it is God"s Holy will that I should fall, I will have done my duty to my King and country and I hope justly in the sight of God.

It is hard to part from you but keep a good heart, dear Tina, and do not grieve for me, for God and his Blessed Mother will watch over you and my bonny little children and I have not the least doubt but that my country will help you. For the sake of one of its soldiers that has done his duty. 

Well Dear Tina, you have been a good wife and mother and looked after my canny bairns and I am sure they will be a credit to both of us. My Joe, Jack, Tina, Aggie not forgetting my bonny twins Nora and Hugh and my last flower baby whom I have only had the great pleasure of seeing once since he came into the world, God bless them. I will try and get to do my duty whilst on this perilous undertaking and if I fall, then you will know I died in God"s Holy Grace. 

Tell all my friends and yours also that I bid them farwell now. My Dear Wife and children, I have not anything more to say, only I wish you all Gods"s Holy Grace and blessing so GOODBYE GOODBYE and think of me in your prayers. I know these are hard words to receive but God"s will be done.

From your faithful soldier

Husband and Father

John Scollen. B Coy. 27th. S.B.N.F.

Goodbye my loved ones, DON"T CRY.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for publishing. His last letter home was so very faithful and loving. May God have mercy on his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. It sure got dusty in here.

    ReplyDelete