Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day 1918

Happy Thanksgiving from the Roads Editorial Team


Much of the American Expeditionary Force found itself stuck in France after the Armistice. Every unit and base pulled out the stops that Thanksgiving to give the troops a wonderful meal. Here is the menu from the Second Aviation Instruction Center at Tours. It includes a lot of special recipes for Château-Thierry Sauce, Dressing of the Argonne, and some delightful-sounding delicacies like "Submarine Fruits [of the Sea]" and "Dardanelles Turkey." Thanks to contributor Terry Finnegan, who found this in the Gorrell Reports.

Click on Image to Expand


Now sit down ye warriors bold, eat, drink and sing as in days of old. Tis said that man and beast and bird some day has its inning. The turn comes now for men who fight; give thanks above "La Guerre est Finie."


7 comments:

  1. I hope you re-run this on the 2018 centennial anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up linking this item in to an item on the 1918 anniversary. That appears here, fwiw:

    https://lexanteinternet.blogspot.com/2018/11/thanksgiving-day-1918.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a nice picture. I remember celebrating my thanksgiving in an event venue last year. I missed my flight and there was a lot of hustle that time. I went to a nearby place and had turkey. I missed my mom a lot that time but it was great making new friends that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently started a web site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.
    경마사이트
    경마

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
    조건만남

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have a passion to pursue this journey, then you are ready.
    한국야동

    ReplyDelete