Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

First In Situ Photos of A Soldier's Journey


A Soldier's Journey, the Concept


In preparation for the 13 September opening presentation (First Illumination) of his remarkable centerpiece for America's National World War I Memorial, sculptor Sabin Howard is busy mounting and putting some finishing touches on his 58 x 10-foot sculpted relief ("A movie in bronze," says the artist) at its final destination. If you haven't heard much about A Soldier's Journey, the work is already getting rave reviews, and I would suggest checking out such articles as these HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Mr. Howard has generously sent me a set of photos he took himself at the site last week. Below, I am going to present detailed images from these photos. My intention is to give you the impression you are standing immediately in front of some of the figures of the larger piece.  Of course, if you want to appreciate A Soldier's Journey as complete artistic statement (the "movie in bronze"), it's best to someday visit the National Memorial on Pennsylvania, Ave, in Washington, DC.

In lieu of that journey, I hope you will take the opportunity to watch the First Illumination event on 13 September, which will be made available via online streaming. This will give the opportunity to experience Sabin Howard's magnificent creation as a unified artistic and patriotic work.

Sign-up HERE for the service.


All These Photos Can Be Enlarged by Clicking on the Image. I Strongly Recommend Doing So.  MH


Artist Sabin Howard Applying Some Finishing Touches:
Note the authentic details on the rifles, puttees, and
ammunition belt on the upper Doughboy.



An Installer Working on Top; One Figure Looks
Back on the Journey He's Made and Survived



The Base at Left Front: 
Note Artist's Signature and Battle Damage



In Extremis



Aftermath of a Gas Attack; Nurses Providing Care



The Journey Begins




Our Artist, Sabin Howard, Examines the Product
 of Nine Years of His Creative Effort


Thanks to Edwin Fountain, Chris Christopher, and Sabin Howard for their assistance on this article.

6 comments:

  1. Really wish that I could be there, but I'm going to be in Scotland on a trip arranged a year ago. I'll sign up for the Live Stream, but it'll be in the middle of the night over there. I was at the 2017 symbolic groundbreaking representing the Kansas WW1 Centennial Committee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could be there, but it didn't work out scheduling wise. My wife and I will visit DC about three weeks later though and we're looking forward to seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is simply superb art. Perfect exaltion of the deep emotions the Great War. Absolutely great masterwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be there and am very excited to be part of the First Illumination. Many thanks to Meredith Carr and Theo Mayer.
    Virginia Dilkes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks magnificent. Wish I could be there, but unavoidable conflicts prevent it. My biggest wish is that it could have been done in time for Frank Buckles and other Veterans to have seen it before they passed.

    ReplyDelete