The first 10 minutes with Hughes visiting the Somme battlefield is absolutely stunning. MH
Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the treadEdward Thomas, Roads
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Saturday, August 29, 2026
Friday, August 28, 2026
From Eddie Rickenbacker's Photo Album
| Eddie Rickenbacker (second from left) with four members of the 94th Aero Squadron standing beside an unidentified plane. American ace James Meissner is on the far left, the others are unidentified. |
Because of his family's trust in his biographer, Dr. W. David Lewis of Auburn University, Eddie Rickenbacker's papers were eventually entrusted to the professor's college. Much of the holding, including, hundreds of photos, can be accessed online HERE. Below is a selection from the photographic collection. The images are displayed in 580px width and can be enlarged to 800px if you click on them. Unlike many photo sets, the archivists provide a brief description for each image, which has been included.
| Eddie Rickenbacker, Age 13 |
Just in case you've never heard of "Capt. Eddie"
Eddie Rickenbacker (1890–1973), the American Ace of Aces for World War I, was born in 1890 to William and Elizabeth Rickenbacker, in Columbus, Ohio. He was the third of eight children. When his father died in 1904, he started working any job he could find in order to support his family. It was through these jobs that he landed in the growing automobile industry. This, combined with his interests in technology and speed, led him to seek out automobile racing.
In 1917, Rickenbacker enlisted in the Army after Major Lewis Burgess asked him if he would like to be one of General Pershing’s chauffeurs. Rickenbacker enlisted in May 1917, arriving in France on June 26 as a part of the American Expeditionary Force. His first assignment was as a driver for General Pershing, himself. However, his goal was to fly.
With the help of higher ranked officials, such as Major Billy Mitchell, Rickenbacker was able to get into flight school and become a pilot in the U.S. Army. Rickenbacker was assigned to the 94th Aero Squadron, the first American Squadron to see combat in WWI. On April 29, 1918, Rickenbacker downed his first enemy aircraft, a two-seater Pfalz reconnaissance aircraft. Rickenbacker’s 25th and 26th confirmed kills, the last ones he would ever get, came about on 30 October 1918. He was originally awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) in 1918 for his solo attack against seven enemy aircraft over the St. Mihiel sector. Twelve years later, in 1930, the U.S. government officially upgraded that existing DSC to the Medal of Honor.
After World War I, Eddie Rickenbacker became an automotive entrepreneur, owned the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and emerged as an important driving force in the growth of American commercial aviation. He survived a 1942 Pacific plane crash and being lost at sea for 22 days during World War II. He served as the long-time head of Eastern Air Lines in 1963. He passed away in 1973.
| Rickenbacker [arrow] as a driver for General Pershing |
| Pilot Trainee Eddie Rickenbacker |
| Eddie Rickenbacker (second from left) with a group of officers from the 94th Aero Squadron at an aerodrome in France. |
| Eddie Rickenbacker in a flight suit standing in front of his SPAD XIII. |
| Citation for Bravery, Army of the East, awarded to Eddie Rickenbacker, dated 11-30-18. |
| Rickenbacker's return home to Columbus, Ohio [Mother Elizabeth with head turned] |
| Eddie Rickenbacker and Wife Adelaide Frost Durant standing beside a fence during their courtship. |
| Eddie Rickenbacker with his sons, David and William. The boys are sitting in a race car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Rickenbacker bought the Speedway in 1927. He sold it in 1945. |
| Eddie Rickenbacker points at a "Hat-in-the-Ring" collage on the wall of his Eastern Air Lines office. |
Thursday, August 27, 2026
Remembering a Veteran: Petty Officer George Samson, HMS River Clyde, VC & White Feather
| Petty Officer George Samson, HMS River Clyde, VC |
While helping soldiers ashore from his ship, HMS River Clyde, the 26-year-old seaman George McKenzie Samson (1889-1923) attended to a tide of wounded for an entire day, hauling them to safety despite being wounded himself in a constant hail of machine-gun fire. It was only when he was cut down by as many as 19 bullets that the Scot, who had led an extraordinary existence working as a cowboy in South America and a train driver in Turkey, was finally pulled from the battlefield and treated for 19 wounds. H was not expected to survive. The ship’s surgeon, Dr P Burrowes Kelly, commented: “Whether he lived or died, I knew he won the VC.”
Evacuated by hospital ship, he spent three months in Port Said undergoing treatment before being shipped home. He was recuperating in Aboyne when news reached his family that he had been awarded the VC. He then received a civic reception, and on 5 October 1915 he went to Buckingham Palace to receive the VC from King George V. He was then promoted to chief petty officer and was a guest at the 110th anniversary celebrations marking Nelson’s victory at Trafalgar.
In October 1915, while he was home on leave wearing his civilian garb, a woman approached Samson in his native Carnoustie and handed him a white feather. He became one of thousands of men out of uniform who were humiliated on the streets of First World War Britain by being publicly given the symbol of cowardice.
| HMS River Clyde Under Fire, V Beach, 25 April 1915 |
The symbolic slandering of a war hero was an extreme, though by no means unheard of, example of a practice which had first emerged as early as 1914 thanks to the efforts of Admiral Charles Fitzgerald, a retired naval officer based in Folkestone, Kent, who founded the Order of the White Feather. Supported by a number of prominent female writers and leaders of the Suffragette movement, the Order encouraged young women to hand out white feathers to young men spotted on the streets out of military uniform.
Petty Officer Samson was by no means the only serviceman to be wrongly singled out for a feather, which were also handed out by supporters of Christabel Pankhurst, the daughter of Suffragette leader, Emmeline.
| Samson's Burial Site, Bermuda |
When he returned to service, the now married Samson's wounds continued to trouble him—only a fraction of the metallic pieces his body had received at Gallipoli had been removed—and he eventually finished the war out of uniform for the government. Postwar, his love of the sea drew him back to merchant marine work. Sadly, in early 1923 he began to feel unwell, and if they encountered another ship it was likely he would be transported home. Shortly afterwards, he was put aboard the SS Strombus and taken to Bermuda. Tragically, it was too late. He succumbed to double pneumonia in St George’s Hospital on 23 February 1923, and was buried with full military honours in the Methodist Cemetery, St George’s, Bermuda.
Sources: The Independent, 11 May 2014; VictoriaCrossOnline.co.uk.
Wednesday, August 26, 2026
"March or Die" — A Tradition of la Légion étrangère Meets Trench Warfare
| Legionnaires on a Desert March in Algeria, 1905 |
"March or Die" — A Tradition
“March or die” (Marche ou crève) is the famous unofficial motto and operational ethos of the French Foreign Legion. Rooted in 19th-century North African colonial campaigns, it symbolizes extreme physical endurance, absolute mission completion regardless of hardship, and the consequence of failing to keep pace in harsh desert environments. The ethos dictates that legionnaires push past physical breaking points because abandoning a comrade or failing a designated task is completely unacceptable.
The Legion famously marches at 88 steps per minute (the pas légionnaire), much slower than the standard 120 steps per minute of regular French military units. This deliberate, heavy cadence reflects a history of moving steadily through deep desert sand and an attitude of not rushing toward mortal danger. Because of its marching speed, the Foreign Legion is always the last unit marching in any joint parade of the French Army.
During World War I, the French Foreign Legion shifted from colonial policing to intense trench warfare on the Western Front. Over 43,000 global volunteers—including Italians, Russians, and Americans—joined specialized marching regiments, suffering catastrophic casualty rates while earning some of the French army’s highest military honors. On the Western Front, Legion units fought heavily in Champagne, Artois, Verdun, and the Somme, often assigned to high-risk assault objectives. In late 1914, Italian volunteers of the unique Garibaldian Legion (Légion Garibaldienne) fought valiantly in the Argonne before disbanding. Smaller Legion deployments fought in Serbia, Salonika, and Gallipoli. By November 1915 two Foreign Legion units had been merged into the “Régiment de marche de la Légion étrangère” (Foreign Legion Marching Regiment, RMLE) .
| In Alsace, a Group of American Volunteers Pose for a Photo, 1915 |
March or Die on the Western Front
Did these new Foreign Legionnaires, who served in Europe during the Great War adhere to the standards of "March or Die" as followed by the Legion's old veterans of Morocco or Indochina? Recruits underwent intense conditioning focused on long-distance endurance with heavy field packs, rigid unit synchronization, and the signature slow ceremonial pace of 88 steps per minute set to their iconic anthem Le Boudin.
Additionally—in regards the marching part—we have this 1914 account from famed American volunteer Alan Seeger's diary that seems to resoundingly answer "Yes".
11 October
[A] seven-hour march
20 October
Short walk of 16 Kilometers in morning
9.8 km later in the day
22 October
30 km Hautvilliers to Verzy
Later, short march to Verzenay [2.4 km]
28 October
A long day's march was promised us to counteract the comfort of marching without sack. It was in fact the hardest day we have had. We marched with small and few interruptions from 6.30 in the morning to 10.30 at night, in which time we covered probably about 55 kilometers. No food except the scraps we had in our musettes. . . Arrived at Fismes after nightfall and exceedingly fatigued, expected to be cantonned there, but kept on marching through the town and out into the dark country again. . . At 10.30 we halted and were told to spread our blankets in the field beside the road. . . At midnight I lay down on the wet ground and managed to get some sleep before three, when we got up again and continued the march 10 or 12 kilometers to this wretched village, where we are lodged for the day in a dirty stable. . . Here we are just behind the lines. We are resting and go into the trenches tonight. At last we shall be under fire. [Editor's comment: This last sentence sounds like a sigh of relief.]
| A RMLE Detachment on Parade, 1918 |
Combat, of course, provided its own tests of the mettle of the Legion's men. Because they were repeatedly sent into the bloodiest sectors of the front lines, entire units were often wiped out and had to be repeatedly reconstituted with fresh drafts of international volunteers. Towards the end of the war, however, a serious dearth of recruits would jeopardize the Legion’s continued presence at the Western Front. Officially 4,116 members of the Foreign Legion were killed on the Western Front and another 1,200 in other theaters of war. Thus, roughly 10 percent of those serving in the Legion between 1914 and 1918 lost their lives.
It was not by chance, therefore, that the Legion would not be affected by the general morale crisis and mutinies of the French army in spring 1917. While roughly half of the conventional French divisions on the Western Front experienced collective indiscipline or refusals to attack after the failed Nivelle Offensive, the Régiment de marche de la Légion étrangère maintained its high morale, discipline, and commitment to combat. While they weren't marching across the Sahara, the core demand of the tradition—absolute compliance, relentless stamina, and a willingness to face certain death for France—remained unchanged in the mud and barbed wire.
Tuesday, August 25, 2026
The Scramble for Africa (1862–1912)
| Winner WH Smith Literary Award and the Alan Paton Award, 1992 Order HERE |
The “Scramble for Africa” began, according to Thomas Pakenham, in 1876. The Germans had a handy word that summed it up more succinctly--the Torschlusspanik-- the “door-closing panic.”There the continent lay, ripe for exploitation, and nobody wanted to miss out. Europeans had been there for many years, of course, but only on the fringes--in Lagos, Zanzibar and Alexandria, for instance--where trade and climate had made a settlement necessary and possible. As the last quarter of the 19th Century approached, however, they queued up, in an unseemly turmoil, like avid shoppers on the opening day of a sale, to see what they could lay their hands on. . . There was land to be grabbed, vast tracts of it, and, so they believed, unimaginably large amounts of money to be made. In their train came the added bonuses of strategic and political influence, of setting the agenda for the power struggles of the new century. And so they moved in on Africa: Britain, France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Germany all at once found themselves involved in an extraordinary “Sale of the Century.” A whole continent was available, and surely everyone would be able to claim a piece of the action. . . Thomas Pakenham’s fine book tells the story of this particular gold rush with admirable and judicious poise. These four decades of European colonization contain some of the best-known episodes of 19th-Century history as well as some of the most mythologized and colorful characters the world has ever seen. . . It was all about the greater greed and glory of Britain and France, Germany and Belgium and the other Europeans participating in the carve-up. The Africans did not feature in the equation at all.
Pakenham has written a book that contributes nothing of significance to our understanding of the scramble. More damagingly, the work perpetuates and popularizes an outdated view of both African and imperial history.
Monday, August 24, 2026
America's Summertime World War One Commemorations – 2026
| Remembrance of the Battle of Croix Rouge Farm 28 July 1918 – 25 July 2026 |
A major Remembrance address was made on 25 July 2026 at Croix Rouge Farm, France, former battlefield of the 42nd Rainbow Division, by Monique Brouillet Seefried, Ph.D. Monique served for ten years as WWI Centennial Commissioner, was chair of the Croix Rouge Farm Memorial Foundation and is now on the board of advisors of the American Revolution Institute. In her speech, she also honored two other commemorative events that had proceeded the ceremony at Croix Rouge Farm.
It is always with intense emotion that I find myself among all of you today, like every year since its dedication in 2011, in front of this powerful memorial — The Rainbow Soldier, carrying his dead comrade, on a battlefield that saw one of the fiercest combats in WWI of the 42nd US Division. It is the work of the late British sculptor James Butler, and was commissioned through the generosity of the late Nimrod T. Frazer to remember his father and his fellow soldiers who fought on this battlefield 108 years ago.
In the United States, at a time we celebrate the 250th of the creation of our Nation, we also celebrate and honor our first alliance with France which made our Independence possible. And France does not forget the American soldiers who came to its rescue in WWI. This July, I’ve already attended two events remembering them.
| Gold Star Mothers at the Sacred Soil Marker Rededication |
At Arlington, on July 5th, took place the rededication of the Sacred Soil Marker honoring American soldiers who died on French and Flemish battlefields in WWI. In 1929, the original marker conceived by the sculptor Gaston Deblaize, a French veteran of that war, was installed at Arlington containing soil of battlefields where the blood of American soldiers was shed. This marker was removed in 1938, due to deterioration, and almost lost to memory. Its restoration was a transatlantic project to honor Franco-American relations during the 250th anniversary of the independence of the United States.A delegation of Gold Star Mothers went to France to collect again this sacred soil, from mostly ABMC cemeteries, and it was placed in the restored marker which now stands in section 18 of Arlington cemetery.
| Doughboy Hilliard Chastain's Family Receives His Dog Tag |
At the French Consulate in Atlanta, on Bastille Day, a dog tag lost in the Vosges region by an Alabamian soldier, Hilliard Chastain, a wagoner in the 167th Infantry Regiment Supply Company, 42nd Division, was returned to his grandchildren and a framed poster of the Rainbow Division Memorial at Croix Rouge Farm was offered to the family. Hilliard Chastain departed France on April 15, 1919 to return to Alabama on the USS North Carolina. Therefore, he must have participated in the battle of the Ourcq River and maybe have been at Croix Rouge Farm.
Here, today, on this Croix Rouge Farm battlefield, I would like to express my gratitude to the city of Fère-en-Tardenois and its mayor, Madame Madeleine Gabriel, for taking such good care of this beautiful historical site and memorial, and thank Senator Antoine Lefevre, president of the Franco-American friendship group at the French Senate, congressman Jocelyn Designy, Mayor Didier Fernandez (Seringes-et-Nesles) and all other elected officials for their presence. This Rainbow Soldier, on this beautiful day, stands like a true Rainbow in the sky, a beacon of hope for French-American friendship and peace in our world. Thank you.
| Senator Antoine Lefèvre, Senator (Aisne) and président of the French-American friendship group at the French Senate and Speaker Monique Seefried |
Source: Rainbow [Division] Trail, August 2026
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Value of Trench Signage
Directional & Locational: Named specific communication trenches (e.g., "Bicky Doo Trench", "Tranchée de Paris"), junctions, and paths pointing "To Front Line" or "Support Line."Safety & Movement Warnings: Instructed soldiers to "Keep to the Trench in Daylight" or warned "Do Not Stand About Here, Even If You Are Not Hit Someone Else Will Be" to prevent sniper casualties.Services & Logistics: Designated "Good Water Filling Station", ammunition dumps, battalion headquarters, and dressing stations for the wounded.Morale & Cynical Humor: Dubbed notoriously hazardous intersections with sarcastic names like "Suicide Corner" or "Leicester Square."
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Remembering a Veteran: Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Stanton F. Kalk, USN, USS Jacob Jones
| Painting by F. Luis Mora, depicting Lt (JG) Stanton F. Kalk assisting survivors of the USS Jacob Jones after she was sunk by Germany's U-53 on 6 December 1917. |
Stanton Frederick Kalk was born in Alabama on 14 October 1894. He received his higher education at the U.S. Naval Academy, from which he graduated in 1916. Service in the battleship Florida followed. In September 1917 he was assigned to the destroyer Jacob Jones, which was then performing convoy escort duties as part of the Anglo-American effort to control the serious threat of German U-boats.
On 6 December 1917, Kalk was officer-of-the-deck when his ship was torpedoed by the submarine U-53. After Jacob Jones sank, he exhibited "extraordinary heroism" while helping move survivors among life rafts in an effort to equalize their loads. As a result of his exertions in the chilly water of the North Atlantic, Lt(JG) Kalk died from exhaustion and exposure. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Medal. He is honored on the Tablet of the Missing, Brookwood American Cemetery and Memorial, U.K.
| Midshipman Kalk, U.S. Naval Academy |
Read the Story of the sinking of the USS Jacob Jones HERE.
The Navy has named two destroyers in honor of Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Kalk:
- USS Kalk (Destroyer # 170, later DD-170), 1919-1940; and
- USS Kalk (DD-611), 1942-1969.
Friday, August 21, 2026
HMS Saxifrage (1918), Last of the Q-ships
| HMS President / Saxifrage, 2014 |
By James Patton
News flash from the BBC: the retired Q-ship HMS President [formerly HMS Saxifrage during the Great War] which, along with the cruiser HMS Caroline in Belfast and the monitor HMS M33 at Portsmouth, are the only remaining Royal Navy (RN) ships that served in World War I. This seems bound to change, as the onetime HMS Saxifrage is going to be scrapped. It has been moored out of the public’s view at Arcelor Mittal Kent Wire's (AMKW) site at Chatham in Kent. AMKW says that they don’t own the ship, and they announced last December that their Chatham dock facility is closing.
AMKW says that in 2016 they "agreed with the owner of the ship to berth it," but since then the owner has "ignored requests" to "take responsibility for their ship." AMKW has "therefore borne the ongoing costs of maintaining the vessel [at the dock], including the installation and continuous operation of bilge pumps to ensure it remains safely afloat."
AMKW said it "has explored a range of options for the vessel", including berthing elsewhere, but was "unable to identify a viable location or plan for relocation". AMKW says that it is closing the Chatham docks due to "the severity and scale of the challenges facing the business”. Additionally, a recent marine survey prepared for AMKW found the vessel to be "in very poor condition with extensive deterioration and asbestos", and that restoration would be "highly complex and prohibitively costly"." Therefore, AMKW says that she will be "dismantled in accordance with all relevant safety and environmental regulations, and with the owner's consent". It should be pointed out here that the steel is valuable because it was made before 1945.
AMKW’s spokesperson said this is "an outcome we regret" and that "it is with great sadness that we have reached the conclusion that this is the only responsible course of action within our control".
A last-minute effort to preserve the ship has been mounted by The Q-Ship Society (QSS). Its Chairman, Daniel Broom, speaking for the society said the loss "would be disastrous" since it is the last surviving warship of its kind. He told the BBC that QSS has been searching for an alternative berth. "We've had so much public interest but the people that can help are not stepping up to assist," he said.
With her future now in peril, the QSS is still hoping to save her, embarking on a campaign to raise the funds needed to tow the ship to another, hopefully permanent, berth. QSS is also trying to raise funds for restoration, with the goal of turning her into a museum focused on the history of the Q-ships and the U-Boat war during 1914-18, but the Heritage Lottery turned them down. On 17 July 2026, tugs GPS Iberia and GPS Arcadia began the ship’s final voyage, towing her from Chatham, along the River Medway and out onto the River Thames. She passed Gravesend for the final time before continuing towards Erith, her final destination, where she is due to be broken up for scrap.
| HMS Saxifrage, 1918 |
For those who are unfamiliar with the Q-Ships, here’s a brief introduction. They were warships disguised as unarmed merchantmen. Most were originally civilian vessels and were modified. Many even got the “dazzle paint’ camouflage of a cargo ship. Purpose-built examples had unnecessary masts and booms and even fake rudder housings. The concept originated in 1914 correpondance between The Hon. Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, and the Master of the Queenstown dockyard, so the resulting craft was code-named a “Q-Ship”.
They were armed with concealed 4-inch naval guns and 3-inch Quick Firers, seriously outgunning their intended foe. The U-Boats of 1914 often had only six torpedoes, which the commanders preferred to use against warships or high-value targets. Common sense dictated that small merchantmen should be sunk by gunfire or placed explosives. Thus, when the U-Boat surfaced the Q-ship crew would appear to be abandoning ship in haste (called the ‘panic party). However, the gun crews would stay aboard, uncover and prep the artillery and open fire on the U-Boat when it was at close range.
Statistics on WWI RN Q-Ships vary. The BBC says there were 193; the QSS says it was 366. Reported Q-Ships lost are BBC 44 vs. QSS 61. BBC says that the Q-Ships destroyed 15 U-Boats. After the implementation of the convoy system in May 1917, U-Boat commanders grew wary of any ship traveling solo, and so the Q-Ships that came into service after that time were mostly used instead as escorts for coastal convoys.
"Saxifrage" is the popular name for a family of flowering bushes, many native to Asia, but some, known as the purple saxifrages, live in the far north or at high elevations, even in the UK. All of the 28 purpose-built ships of the Anchusa Class were named after flowers, leading to the preferred label Flower Class, which is wholly distinct from the WWII Flower Class of 294 corvettes.
The WWI Flower ships were 282 ft. long, displaced 1,290 lt., drew 11 ½ ft. and had a maximum speed of 16 kts. They were bigger than the WWII corvettes, and were coal-fired. HMS Saxifrage was the 24th in the class, built on the Clyde by Lobnitz & Co. and commissioned early in 1918. Though she engaged with nine U-Boats, she didn’t destroy any. She survived the war; six other Flower ships didn't.
In 1921, HMS Saxifrage was saved from the scrap yard because her sister Flower ship, HMS Marjoram, was wrecked near Flimston Head in Wales while under tow. She had been selected to be a Royal Naval Voluntary Reserve (RNVR) drill ship. HMS Saxifrage was selected as her replacement and was renamed HMS President in 1922.
| HMS President, c. 2000 |
For decades, HMS President was moored on the Thames Embankment, and during WWII she was used first as a gunnery training ship and later as office space, even housing the operations of the French Resistance. When she was the only RN ship in London, all navy personnel working at the Admiralty were nominally on her strength. Off and on for many years she served as a cadet training ship for the RNVR, until it was disbanded in 1958. She was the last RN warship to wear the Victorian battleship livery—with black hull, white superstructure and buff yellow funnel and masts.
In 1987 the Admiralty sold the ship, and the name HMS President was passed to a shore installation (known in RN vernacular as a "stone frigate"). Under a succession of private owners, the ship was used for private office space, an event venue and even a recording studio. Some owners unsuccessfully attempted to get public grants for restorative maintenance. In 2014 she was repainted with a dazzle-like pattern as a part of a centennial arts campaign. This paint job [top photo] wasn’t Cubist like the 1918 Dazzle; it’s a tromp l’oeil spoof on Cubism. In 2016, after 94 years next to Blackfriars Bridge, she was evicted due to the construction of the Thames Tideway Tunnel. She was towed downriver to Chatham Working Docks, where she’s been ever since, a derelict since 2022.
Not all derelict WWI ships have been broken up. Check out the inspiring story of the Austro- Hungarian river monitor SMS Bodrog, a.k.a. in Yugoslav service the as Sava, which has been fully restored by Serbia (although in Yugoslav livery). LINK
Sources include: Maritime Executive and the BBC
Thursday, August 20, 2026
Eyewitness: Red Dragon — Aftermath of a Mine Detonation
| Red Dragon of the Royal Welch Fusiliers |
At 2:50 a.m. on 22 June 1916, a German mine was exploded under a British trench near Givenchy-Lez-La Bassée in Northern France. The mine’s shock wave caused considerable damage, the powerful underground charge tore through the British trench system, burying members of B Company of the 2nd Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers alive, killing 54, and creating a massive crater measuring roughly 150 by 75 yards. Using 8,000 pounds of explosives, it is considered the largest German mine on the Western Front during 1916. The explosion was quickly followed by a German trench raid, which the surviving British troops eventually repulsed. In honor of the Royal Welch’s prompt action in defeating the German raiders (a force of some 150 men) the crater was given the name "Red Dragon Crater" from the design of the regiment’s insignia.
The explosion also brought down eight meters of gallery behind the British tunnelers of the 254 Tunnelling Company Royal Engineers 35 feet underground who were digging their own mine, the Shaftesbury Shaft, cutting off their sole exit route. Five of the miners were trapped underground.
Royal Engineer John French described the chaotic immediate aftermath:
When we reached the place where the mine had gone off, we could not recognize the place it was altered so. Great gaps in the parapets, where you could see the German lines easily and where the mine had gone off or rather series of mines. There was an enormous crater with dead and wounded, both Germans and British for the Germans had made an attack right after the explosion. They got in our trenches but very few got back again, for after the first shock our men got together splendidly and there was some fierce had to hand fighting. The enemy carried hand grenades and daggers beside rifle and bayonet. . . . There was a German Officer lying dead just over the back of our trench with a grenade still in his hand. There was also one of our officers who had killed three Germans in hand to hand fighting finally being killed himself with a dagger thrust. . . . Two of our squad dug out a sergeant . . . He had a leg and arm broken and was half buried. . . .[T]here were scores of German hand grenades and a lot of German equipment lying around and blood on almost everything. Five of our Coy are buried in one of our mine galleries.
Three of the trapped miners escaped. A fourth, Sapper John Hackett, refused to abandon a fifth man, Thomas Collins, who was injured. Another major roof collapse sealed the chamber and both men were lost. Hackett later was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his self-sacrifice.
| Sapper John Hackett, VC |
Noted war poet Edmund Blunden was an observer to the event and supervised some of the post-explosion repair work. While he did not dedicate a piece to the Red Dragon explosion, there's a stanza from his poem "The River House" that seems to me might have been inspired by what he saw that night.
The fields are desolate under the gray;
But once they have seen the sun to-day.
He came up in a blood-red lift
That blackened like the red blood spilt,
And through a sudden awful rift
There came a gleam, a fiery dream
Of God’s eye watching demon guilt.
Sources: MilitaryHistoryNow; Nottinghamshire Mining Museum; Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum, Tunneller Memorial Survey; 1914-1918.co.uk.