Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Monday, January 24, 2022

Worms and Voracious Rats: Rickword's Vision of War (A Roads Classic)

I find re-reading this poem a nice antidote whenever I find myself losing touch with the essential character of the war.


Click on Image to Expand

German Dead on the Western Front


John Edgell Rickword (1898–1982) served on the Western Front and wrote a number of war poems. His war poetry was published in 1921 in a volume entitled Behind the Eyes. After the war he went on to a long career in publishing, editing, and writing.


Trench Poets

I knew a man, he was my chum,
but he grew blacker every day,
and would not brush the flies away,
nor blanch however fierce the hum
of passing shells; I used to read,
to rouse him, random things from Donne–
like "Get with child a mandrake-root."
But you can tell he was far gone,
for he lay gaping, mackerel-eyed,
and stiff, and senseless as a post
even when that old poet cried
"I long to talk with some old lover's ghost."

I tried the Elegies one day,
but he, because he heard me say:
"What needst thou have more covering than a man?"
grinned nastily, and so I knew
the worms had got his brains at last.
There was one thing that I might do
to starve the worms; I racked my head
for healthy things and quoted Maud.
His grin got worse and I could see
he sneered at passion's purity.
He stank so badly, though we were great chums
I had to leave him; then rats ate his thumbs.

Also, don't miss David Beer's article on Edgell Rickword that examines another of his poems, "War and Peace."  HERE

1 comment:

  1. Classic soldier humor. Covers their horror at what they experienced as young men.

    ReplyDelete