Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Monday, May 15, 2023

Roads to the Great War's 10th Anniversary



Thank you, Readers, for checking in regularly on our daily postings at Roads to the Great War for the last decade.  Thank you fellow Editors, Contributors, and Book Reviewers for helping crank out the 3,662 features we have presented. And thank you to all the Commentators who have encouraged us, raised interesting issues, and—sometimes gleefully—pointed out our typos, errors, and goofs. My heartfelt appreciation to all of you.

My intention is to keep publishing Roads to the Great War as long as I have a readership and I keep discovering new aspects of the War That Didn't End All Wars. However, I want to take this opportunity to share with you my decision to take a break on publishing new material starting on 1 August, after which I am to undergo separate cataract surgeries on each eye. I'll send out an announcement as soon as I'm ready to resume posting new material. If you're not already receiving our regular announcements, just send me an email at: greatwar@earthlink.net.

Once again, thanks to all of you for a rewarding 10 years.

Mike Hanlon



10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this enriching and engrossing material for us to enjoy. I hope that surgery goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike for 10 great years. Prayers for successful surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cataract surgery is now pretty routine. I've had them done in both eyes (but not simultaneously). You'll probably need a new Rx for glasses after everything is settled. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mike!!
    Bravo to you on an amazing achievement! There should be a Pulitzer Award for Blogs of your stature. For years I have enjoyed reading your informative, entertaining and enlightening posts. Regretfully not commenting as often as I should have!
    Thank you for keeping History Alive through Knowledge Shared!! May God bring you peace of mind and healing of body!!
    Joe Unger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your surgery Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike It is truly remarkable that you continue to discover and uncover, new and neglected WW1 topics and documents. Bravo! A break is totally understandable. Very best well wishes for the procedure. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mike for all the wonderful reading. I always find many subjects of interest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, thank you for what you have been doing, for the stupendous range of articles and research that you have been able to provide. I hope your eye surgery goes well; I am told that it is fairly routine these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey man, thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you great publication

    ReplyDelete