The principal French memorial in the Champagne region marks the site where French forces were stymied throughout 1915, stayed in place for three years, and waged a notable defense in the opening of the Second Battle of the Marne, July 1918. The monument contains a chapel on whose walls are plaques containing the names of the soldiers who were placed in the crypt at the request of their families. The crypt contains 10,000 unnamed soldiers along with General Gouraud, commander of the 4th French Army in 1918. The figure on the right atop the pyramidal ossuary is an American Doughboy. The U.S. 42nd, “Rainbow”, Division was deployed here during that July 1918 battle. The battlefield and trenches around the monument have remained untouched since 1918.