Forts played key roles in many of the most important battles of the Great War.
1. At Liège, Belgian forts initially set the Schlieffen Plan behind schedule but also showed their vulnerability to modern siege artillery.
2. At Antwerp, Belgian forts bought time for King Albert to evacuate his army down the coast and join the other Allies.
3. Fort Troyon on the Meuse River prevented the Crown Prince's army from crossing and compromising General Joffre's position at the critical moment of the Battle of the Marne.
4. Turkish forts at the Dardanelles were the initial obstacle to the naval assault.
6. Przemyśl's network of forts proved to be the key to the Galician campaign of 1915.
7. The role of the Verdun forts in the battle of 1916 is well known.
8. In July 1918, Fort Pompelle played a vital role in the defense of Reims.
9. The design of forts were closely guarded secrets before and during the war.
10. The success of forts for defensive purposes during the First World War, especially at Verdun, helped inspire the Maginot Line.