Now all roads lead to France and heavy is the tread
Of the living; but the dead returning lightly dance.
Edward Thomas, Roads

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Recommended: CSPAN's Battle of St. Mihiel Program


American Troops Passing Through a Village in the St. Mihiel Salient

There has been so much produced in the last two years on America's involvement int the Great War that I've not been able to keep up with all of it.  A good example of this is CSPAN's 2017 program on the St. Mihiel Battle, which features my friend, and frequent contributor to our publications, Mitchell Yockelson as the featured commentator.  I just viewed it and I recommend it strongly.  

At the Montsec U.S. Memorial

If you are like my typical  traveler on my military tours, I assure you that the operation is bigger than you imagined  in the size of the battlefield, the forces involved, and its importance in the culmination of the war. The film has footage of the battle I've never seen before, and Mitchell does a fine job explaining things.

View the Video at:





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to the CSPAN video on the St Mihiel offensive. It augmented my 100th anniversary visit to the Montsec monument and the Thiaucourt cemetery on September 20, 2018. The guide there told that more than half of those buried there died of Spanish influenza, as did my grandfather, Don Martin, on October 7, 1918. His fascinating war dispatches about the St Mihiel offensive in the New York Herald can be found in the September 12-17, 2018 blogs at soldierofthepen.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete